The ATO has identified the top 10 tax myths it says are causing incorrect claims.
- Myth 1: Everyone can automatically claim $150 for clothing and laundry, 5000 kilometres for car related expenses, or $300 for work-related expenses, even if they didn’t spend the money
- Myth 2: I don’t need a receipt, I can just use my bank or credit card statement
- Myth 3: I can claim makeup that contains sunscreen if I work outside
- Myth 4: I can claim my gym membership because I need to be fit for work
- Myth 5: I can claim all my travel expenses if I add a conference or a few days’ work to my holiday
- Myth 6: I can claim my work clothes because my boss told me to wear a certain colour
- Myth 7: I can claim my whole Netflix or Foxtel subscription because I need to keep up to date for work
- Myth 8: I can claim home-to-work travel because I need to get to work to earn my income
- Myth 9: I’ve got a capped phone plan, so I can claim both personal and private phone calls
- Myth 10: If I use an agent, they will take responsibility for my claims.
Read our complete September 2018 Taxwise Individual Newsletter here