The JobMaker Hiring Credit scheme (“JobMaker”) is a new government incentive in response to the COVID-19 economic crisis. Eligible employers can access JobMaker for each eligible
additional employee aged 16 to 35 they hire between 7 October 2020 and 6 October 2021. The program will last for 2 years until 6 October 2022.
Are you eligible?
To be eligible for JobMaker, you must:
- operate a business in Australia (not-for-profit organisations operating in Australia and
certain deductible gift recipients (DGRs) are also eligible);
- hold an active ABN;
- be registered for PAYG withholding;
- satisfy the payroll increase and the headcount increase conditions – see below;
- not have claimed JobKeeper payments for a fortnight that started during the JobMaker
period (see the table below for the JobMaker periods);
- be up to date with income tax and GST returns for the 2 years up to the end of the
JobMaker period for which you are claiming (this requirement is adjusted for new
- be registered with the ATO for the scheme – see below; and
- satisfy reporting requirements, including up to date Single Touch Payroll (STP)
reporting (see the table below).
Certain categories of employer are not eligible, for example, companies in liquidation or
provisional liquidation, individuals who have entered bankruptcy, major banks and Australian
Read our complete February 2021 TaxWise Business Newsletter here