Using a motor vehicle for business?

Here are 4 things to keep in mind when claiming motor vehicle expenses — such as fuel, oil, servicing and registration — for your business.

If you operate your business as a sole trader or partnership (where at least one partner is an individual), the method you must use to calculate your deduction depends on the type of vehicle. For cars, you must use either the cents per kilometre or logbook method. For all other vehicles, you must use the actual costs method, where you claim the actual costs of expenses you incurred based on receipts.

Read our complete November 2022 TaxWise Business Newsletter here.

Back to news